1. Being informed is the best way to avoid mistakes that cost money.
2. Don’t expect to be notified when it’s time to sign up.
3. Do enroll when you’re supposed to.
4. Don’t worry that poor health will affect your coverage.
5. Do remember that Medicare is not free. You pay premiums for coverage and co-payments for most services, unless you qualify for a low-income program or have other, extra insurance.
6. Don’t assume that Medicare covers everything; It covers a wide range of health services (including expensive ones like organ transplants), prescription drugs and medical equipment. But there are gaps.
7. Don’t expect Medicare to cover your dependents.